We are now accepting nominations for FPEA District Director!
We must receive your nomination form by March 15, 2012. Self nomination is acceptable.
Director positions in districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12 and 14 are up for election this May. Here’s the breakdown of the available positions:
2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14: The four-year terms for the even-numbered districts are expiring.
1, 3, 5, 11: The Director position is vacant.
Requirements to Serve:
District Directors serve as volunteers on the FPEA Board of Directors. The Board is comprised of a maximum of 14 members — a Director from each of the 14 districts. The average district covers about five counties. Directors must:
- Be homeschooling a child age 5-18 currently living in their home during the personal term of office as Director and at least 12 months preceding their election.
- Have a current FPEA membership.
- Have homeschooled at least three years.
- Hold prior leadership experience in the homeschool/civic/church/business communities.
The term of office is four years (for the even-numbered districts — those elected to odd-numbered districts will complete the final year of a pre-existing four-year term). The average minimum of weekly volunteer service is about 10 hours. Directors are encouraged to appoint contacts for each county in their district to help share the workload.
The Board meets four to six times annually, typically on Saturdays for about eight hours, with additional conference calls between meetings as needed. Responsibilities include:
- Assisting in setting FPEA goals and priorities
- Making governing decisions in accordance with the FPEA mission statement
- Reviewing financial information on a regular basis
- Monitoring adherence to laws, regulations, bylaws and policies
- Helping make policy decisions for the entire FPEA
- Committee service and/or special project participation
District Director Duties:
Directors are not paid, but are compensated for communication and board-meeting travel-mileage expenses. Their responsibilities include:
- Providing information and help to homeschoolers in their districts
- Writing Connect articles and contributing to other publications as needed
- Speaking to homeschool and community groups
- Responding to media contacts
- Answering questions for new homeschoolers
- Providing referrals to support groups and nontraditional private schools
- Facilitating special events in their districts
- Serving as advocates for homeschoolers before county superintendents and other government officials
For more information, contact Jeff Hall, FPEA Chairman, at 863-610-0540 or email@example.com.
Names received on or before March 15 will, upon verification, appear on the official ballot, which will appear in the Summer Connect.
All Director nominees must submit by March 20 a 100-word bio to be published alongside the ballot, if the FPEA nominating committee approves their candidacy. By March 29, all non-incumbent nominees must also complete a questionnaire; provide two written recommendations; and be able to sign conflict of interest, code of ethical conduct and mutual nondisclosure policies. All nominations will be reviewed and verified by the nominating committee.
The FPEA Board of Directors is elected to ensure that your best interests are served well. Nominations must be received by mail, by fax or electronically by March 15, 2012, at the FPEA office:
255 East Drive, Suite H
Melbourne, FL 32904
Must be received by March 15, 2012
FOR ALL DISTRICTS:
Director: I/we nominate __________________________________________ to serve as District ______ Director for the remainder of the current term. His/her telephone number is ___________________________________.
• I/we believe he/she will serve well the interests of home educators in my/our district.
• I/we have / have not (circle one) spoken to him/her about his/her willingness to serve.
FPEA Member #: ____________________________
FPEA Member Signature: ______________________________________
NOTE: The FPEA is not responsible for lost or misdirected nomination forms.
Florida Parent-Educators Association
Supporting Your Homeschool Journey
Copyright @2012, FPEA. All rights reserved.